PLEASE NOTE: The Oregon State men's soccer team's second round NCAA Tournament game vs. Saint Mary's has been moved to Fresno, Calif. due to concerns over air quality. The match, which was originally set to be played on Saint Mary's campus in Moraga, Calif., will now take place on the campus of Fresno Pacific.
The No. 24 Oregon State men's soccer team will continue its postseason run Sunday, when the team heads to California to take on No. 4 Saint Mary's in the secound round of the NCAA Tournament.
Live stats for Sunday's game will be available at OSUBeavers.com. You can follow every Oregon State men's soccer game live on Twitter, @BeaverMSoccer.
This is Oregon State's fourth NCAA Tournament appearance in men's soccer. The Beavers win over SMU on Thursday marked the second ever postseason win in program history, with the first coming in 2014. Oregon State has never won a road game in the NCAA Tournament.
- Head coach Terry Boss
was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year.
- Sofiane Djeffal
earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors
- Don Tchilao
and Djeffal made the Pac-12 First Team, Hassani Dotson
and Gloire Amanda
made the second team, Eric Diaz
and Joe Hafferty
were Honorable Mentions.
- Oregon State has notched the eighth 11-win season in program history, and the second since 2003. The Beavers last tallied double-digit wins in 2014, when they finished with 12 victories.
- OSU's six Pac-12 wins mark the second-highest conference win total in team history. The Oregon State record for wins in a conference season came in 2003, when the Beavers went 7-3-0 to finish second in the Pac-10.
- The Beavers finished second in the Pac-12, matching the program's best ever finish in the Pac-12/10.
- Oregon State's four Pac-12 Player of the Week awards this season is also a program high for a single season.
- Oregon State can finish the season with no more than six losses. The Beavers last finished with six defeats in 2009, and the program record for fewest losses in a season is five, set in 1995.
- Senior Nathan Braaten
was named one of 30 candidates for the men's soccer Senior CLASS Award on Sept. 19. Braaten has proven to be a standout in the classroom throughout his career, earning - Academic All-America Second Team recognition last season. The finance major has also earned CoSIDA Academic All-District honors twice in his career, as well as a pair of Pac-12 All-Academic First Team nods.
- The Beavers have out-shot 13 of their 19 opponents this season.
- The Beavers' 2018 squad features 14 international players, by far the highest total in the Pac-12. UCLA sits second with seven international players, followed by San Diego State with four.
- Oregon State is 9-1-2 at home this season, and has not lost a home match since falling to Syracuse in the season-opener on Aug. 24.
- The Beavers have won their last seven home games, including all five of their Pac-12 home matches.
- Senior Don Tchilao
has earned numerous awards over the course of the season, including College Soccer News National Player of the Week, Pac-12 Player of the Week, and Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week.
- Tchilao became the seventh player in Oregon State history to earn Pac-12 Player of the Week honors twice in his career, and joins Alan Gordon, Ryan Johnson and Danny Mwanga as the only OSU players to take the award twice in a single season.
- Senior Don Tchilao
is second in the Pac-12 in points with 23, and is tied for fifth in the conference in goals with seven.
- The forward is the Pac-12 leader with nine assists.
- Tchilao is tied for the NCAA lead in penalty kicks taken and converted.
- The forward has converted four of the 17 penalty kicks taken by Pac-12 teams this year.
- Tchilao was named to the All-Pac-12 Preseason Team
- Tchilao also made the All-Pac-12 Second Team last season
- Tchilao leads all Oregon State players with 15 career goals, including seven this season. Overall, the forward has played in 64 career matches.
In the Pac:
- Gloire Amanda
is third in the Pac-12 with eight goals this season, followed by Don Tchilao
, who is tied for fifth with seven.
- Sofiane Djeffal
and Don Tchilao
are tied the top two players in the conference in assists
- Oregon State is the only team in the conference to one have played one goalkeeper this season.
- 2018 marks the first season for head coach Terry Boss
, who joins the Beavers after spending the prior four seasons as an assistant coach/associate head coach at Virginia.
- Boss is a native of Philomath, Ore., a town of 4,584 people located approximately five miles west of Lorenz Field.
- Boss played professionally as a goalkeeper for seven seasons, including four seasons in Major League Soccer with the New York Red Bulls and Seattle Sounders FC.
- The goalkeeper also saw time with the Puerto Rican national team, earning seven caps.
- Terry's brother Kevin Boss spent six seasons as a tight end in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl with the New York Giants in the 2007 season.
- Oregon State's 2018 roster features 21 newcomers, including 15 freshmen.
- Thirteen of the Beavers' newcomers hail from outside of the United States, with that group representing six different countries: Canada, England, Spain, Nigeria, France and Germany.
- Oregon State's coaching staff features three coaches who have won an NCAA national title. Boss was an assistant coach on Virginia's 2014 championship team. OSU assistant coach Ryan Zinkhan
was a forward on that 2014 Virginia squad, while Beaver associate head coach BJ Craig
won the 2013 title as part of Notre Dame's coaching staff.
- Craig spent 10 years on the Notre Dame coaching staff, putting together a record of 122-55-35 during that time.
- Zinkhan played in 78 career games for Virginia, including a pair of runs to the Final Four of the College Cup.
- Clint Long
was a goalkeeper at Oregon State, before transfering to CSU Stanislaus, where he earned several conference and national awards.
Dam Worth It
- Nathan Braaten
was intrumental in starting the Dam Worth It program at Oregon State. The program, which was spearheaded by Braaten along with former OSU gymnast Taylor Ricci, was designed for student-athletes in order to decrease the stigma surrounding mental health through education and awareness.
- Dam Worth It won the Giant Steps Award for Civic Leaders. The Giant Steps Awards are given out annually by the Institute for Sport and Social Justice.
- Braaten and Ricci also received Oregon State's Waldo-Cummings Award, which is the most prestigious honor bestowed by the University's Faculty Senate Student Recognition and Awards Committee.
In the Pros:
Below is a list of former Beavers currently playing professionally:
- Alan Gordon - Chicago Fire (MLS)
- Khiry Shelton - Sporting KC (MLS)
- Matt Bersano - San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
- David Norman Jr. - Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS)
- Will Seymore - FC Cincinnati (USL)
- Jordan Jones
- Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (USL)
- Emery Welshman - FC Cincinnati (USL)